The Hipolito F. Garcia Federal Building in San Antonio, TX serves as a federal courthouse for the Southern District of Texas and U.S. Post Office.

A second woman has joined a class-action lawsuit against Houston, alleging that her rapist never would have been free to attack her in her own bed while her children were present if law enforcement had tested the “backlog” of rape kits.

The two women’s federal suit contends that the city’s stockpiling of the sexual assault kits over decades allowed their attackers to remain free, even as authorities could have had them off the street and behind bars before the rapes, according to the lawsuit.

The class-action suit has the potential to include more than 6,000 women and children who were victims of rapes, contends the latest complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas last week.

“Houston, instead of using its monetary resources to test the SAKs submitted by women, chose over the years to use its monetary resources to purchase storage space/bins for the Sexual Assault Rape Kits and to simply warehouse them without notice to the victims tested,” the litigation argues.

Beverly Flores was sleeping in her bed the night of Sept. 20, 2011 with her two children when Domeka Donta Turner broke into her home, according to the lawsuit.

Turner threatened to harm the two children if she fought him, the lawsuit adds.

After the attack, Turner took Flores’s phone – and she had to contact her father through her computer to get help. When police arrived, they were dismissive of her claims, saying the attacker “was probably her boyfriend,” and otherwise trying to dissuade her from filing charges, she argues in her complaint.

But still she “insisted that charges be filed” – and a SAK was taken from the forensic traces left on her body, the court papers show.

The kit was not tested until August 2014, nearly three years after the rape, according to the court papers.

Turner had also committed a rape 11 days prior to the attack on Flores, and had previously been arrested on counts of burglary and burglary with intent to commit rape, the litigation argues.

“Flores relied upon Houston’s intentional and false representations regarding the genetic evidence she submitted,” the lawsuit claims. “Had Houston run the results of her test on CODIS earlier, Domeka Donta Turner would have been earlier apprehended, and Flores would not have spent several years worried and concerned about the threat to herself and her children.”

Turner was locked up in 2012 for burglary with intent to commit rape and was convicted. A sentence of 40 years has him locked up until a projected release date of 2052, according to the Texas Department of Corrections.

However, Turner was additionally charged with aggravated sexual assault for the alleged Flores attack in December 2016, and he was indicted in January. The same month, he was indicted for the attack which took place 11 days earlier.

Houston authorities have previously declined to comment on the pending federal lawsuit. Peter Stout, the current CEO of the Houston Forensic Science Center, which was created in 2014 after the Flores and Beckwith rapes, has emphasized that the “backlog” of sexual assault evidence has been cleared by the current administration.

The first plaintiff in the complaint filed the civil-rights suit in September, calling the backlog “an appalling violation of the law.”

DeJenay Beckwith claimed she was raped in her apartment by a man claiming to be a mechanic in 2011. Beckwith was walking outside on the street when a man in a car circled around her, asking if she needed a ride on the night of April 2, 2011. She said she did not need a ride, but mentioned she hoped to fix her car. The man, who was later identified as David Lee Cooper, said he was a mechanic, according to the legal documents.

Beckwith talked with him about cars, and his inspection of her car—and her noticing that his hands appeared dirty and oily—convinced her he was legitimately a mechanic. After they talked business about her vehicle needing a new motor, he asked for a drink of water. She allowed him inside her apartment—where he threw her to the floor, raped her and bit her, according to court papers.

She fled the apartment and ran into a male friend who chased off Cooper. Beckwith gave a rape kit sample at a local hospital, and was administered anti-STD drugs, the lawsuit adds.

She was contacted initially by a Houston Police Department detective who first implied she was on a particular street as a prostitute, and then discouraged her from filing a report, according to the claims.

Five years later, the Houston detectives contacted her to say they had a suspect in her attack, based on the DNA evidence.

David Lee Cooper had been in CODIS since 1991, and the serial rapist could have been stopped if the evidence from a 2009 attack had been processed at the crime lab, according to the suit.

“David Lee Cooper is a serial rapist who could have been stopped in 1991, 1994, 2002, 2005 and in 2009 before he sexually assaulted and raped DeJenay Beckwith,” the litigation argues.

The peak of the Houston backlog was 16,000 untested rape kits that were counted by the Houston Police Department in 2010, according to court papers.