A 1973 booking photo of Terry Peder Rasmussen after he was arrested in Arizona for being a fugitive from justice. (Photos: Courtesy of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)

Some more missing pieces of the puzzle left by the long-dead “Chameleon” Killer who criss-crossed the country for decades are beginning to fall into place.

The crime that started it all, however—and the identities of four females found in barrels in the New Hampshire woods—remain elusive, authorities added.

Terry Peder Rasmussen, who died in a California prison in 2010 on a murder conviction under the name Curtis Kimball, likely butchered women and children from the 1970s onward from coast to coast, leaving a still-undetermined trail of bodies and victims, and assumed identities, in his wake.

One of the gaps in the timeline was the mid-1970s. Now the authorities are announcing that the “Chameleon” was indeed criminally active, and violent, before his first known kill.

Rasmussen was arrested in Phoenix, Arizona in April 1973, on a charge of being a fugitive from justice. A new booking photo shows his appearance before he would make what is believed to be his first homicidal strike.

Rasmussen was also arrested in June 1975 on a charge of aggravated assault.

It is now believed the Chameleon, just beginning his changing identity routine, may have been in New Hampshire, Texas, Arizona, California, Oregon, Virginia and perhaps other states during that time.

Last year, the man known as Kimball was connected to a persona “Robert Evans” in New Hampshire in the late 1970s and early 1980s—and one of America’s most notorious cold cases, the “Bear Brook Murders.” The connection was made through DNA: a little girl he had abused and abandoned at a California RV park in 1986 was connected back to family in the southern part of the Granite State, just miles from a gruesome crime scene in Bear Brook State Park, where the bodies of four females had been found stuffed into barrels. This time, it was the killer’s own DNA which pegged the Chameleon as the biological father of one of the children whose remains were found there.

It was only three months ago that investigators from the New Hampshire State Police, the San Bernardino (California) Sheriff’s Office and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children announced they had discovered the core identity of the Chameleon: he was Terry Peder Rasmussen.

The four Allenstown females remain unidentified. But investigators say they hope the new Arizona angle will start connecting more dots on the map, and give those dead utterance.

Carol Schweitzer, a lead investigator at NCMEC, said she hopes the New Hampshire case could soon be cracked.

“Piecing together historical records is time consuming and requires attention to the smallest of details and much patience,” she told Forensic Magazine. “I’m looking forward to the day we honor these four victims by calling them their true names.”

The same killer linked up to other identified crimes, in states spanning from coast to coast. His true birth name was not known for the first year of the widening cold-case investigation.

Rasmussen, born in Colorado on Dec. 23, 1943, was a U.S. Navy veteran whose wife left him and took their four children in 1973 or 1974 – before he apparently began a nationwide, marathon killing spree lasting into the 21st century.

Rasmussen—then known as Vanner—was finally arrested for good in 2002. He had been living in the house of Eunsoon Jun, who had disappeared and whose mummified remains were found in a pile of kitty litter. He was locked up and pleaded guilty shortly after his fingerprints matched his previous crimes.

Advanced DNA searches through genealogy databases discovered a heretofore-unknown serial killer last summer, in an unprecedented use of the technology connecting the case back to New Hampshire.

Peter Headley, a detective at the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office, enlisted the latest state-of-the-art genetic ancestry help to find the family of the abandoned girl (now an adult woman named Lisa, with a family of her own). After thousands of hours, it was determined she was born Dawn Beaudin – and she had disappeared with her mother Denise Beaudin and a man named Robert Evans from their Allenstown, New Hampshire home in November 1981. All three were never heard from again. None were ever reported missing by the family left behind, because they had been told they were purposely leaving to avoid debts.

Sgt. Michael Kokoski of the New Hampshire State Police told Forensic Magazine in August that investigators are now essentially entering "phase three of three," now that the Rasmussen ID has been made.

The third phase in New Hampshire is to identify the victims - and find the last woman seen with him in the Granite State, authorities said.

"Maybe this allows someone to make a connection," added Jeffery Strelzin, the senior assistant Attorney General for New Hampshire. "The focus is on identifying the four bodies in Allenstown, and finding out where Denise Beaudin is."