Video captured by Officer Quincy Smith of the Estill Police Department using glasses equipped with a camera shows Malcolm Antwan Orr shooting him multiple times. The video also shows the aftermath of the attack. (Video Credit: Courtesy of the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office)

A small town South Carolina cop responded to a report of a suspicious person on New Year’s Day 2016 when the suspicious person turned on him and shot him multiple times.

But Officer Quincy Smith of the Estill Police Department survived the four bullet wounds—and the glasses equipped with a camera he was wearing at the time have now resulted in a lengthy prison term for his attacker, 29-year-old Malcolm Antwan Orr.

Orr was sentenced on Wednesday by a state judge to the maximum penalty: 30 years for attempted murder and five years for a weapons violation for the 9 mm handgun, to be served consecutively in state prison.

Malcolm Antwan Orr, 29, was convicted of attempted murder and a weapons charge, and sentenced to a maximum of 35 years for the shooting of Officer Quincy Smith of the Estill Police Department. (Photo: Courtesy of the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office)

The key piece of evidence was the video taken from those glasses with a camera bought on Amazon—what the officer later called “the best $30 he ever spent.”

The 20 minutes showing the response, the attack and the ambulance call to save the officer’s life were all captured by those glasses—and the video was presented at trial.

The description of a man in camouflage wearing a red bandanna over his face trying to steal liquor and items from patrons of a store led Smith to a man walking away from the store matching that description. The man kept walking, with a cellphone to his ear, despite Smith’s orders to stop.

As Smith demanded Orr to take his right hand out of the pocket of his jacket, Orr whipped out a handgun and pulled the trigger at least eight times—at least two of the shots were while the officer was on the ground. The video then shows Smith retreating back to his police car and getting on the radio for help, with his hands covered in his own blood.

Two broken arm bones and a severed neck vein caused him to eventually collapse next to his patrol car as he awaited the ambulance.

“Tell my family that I love them,” he told dispatch at one point.

The glasses video was the prime piece of evidence, according to prosecutors.

But the other evidence included a cellphone left by Orr at the scene, which included personal texts with his name, and also the clothes the attacker wore when he fired the shots.

Duffie Stone, the 14th Circuit Solicitor, told the jury in his closing argument that the bullet severed a vein in the officer’s neck—a wound that has regularly killed other people. In Smith’s case, it clotted up quickly at the scene, he said.

But the video showed Orr’s intent to kill the officer, the prosecutor told the jury, as he placed each of the spent 9 mm shell casings on the railing of the jury box in front of them.

“What you have the advantage of is, you saw the crime—you saw it,” said Stone. “Whether or not Malcolm Orr acted with malice is your final decision.”

The jury responded quickly, taking less than 45 minutes before reaching a verdict.

Also captured on the video is a good Samaritan. A bystander stayed with Smith, speaking to dispatch and assisting the bleeding officer, according to the video.

“I am going to stay here with you man,” the bystander said. “There is not a lot of blood, okay—so I think you may be okay. Stay with me, man.”