Laboratory Environmental, Health, and Safety Compliance Strategies
This web conference will review common US federal laws pertaining to the research and process laboratories and provide attendees with practical compliance solutions. The speaker will discuss laws and compliance solutions from OSHA, the EPA, the US Center of Disease Control and Prevention, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the US Department of Homeland Security.
Topics discussed include:
• Whether lab safety or hazcom applies for occupational exposure to hazardous chemicals in laboratories
• Recording and reporting occupational injuries and illnesses
• Assessing need, selection, and training for personal protective equipment
• Storing, using, and the limitations on flammable and combustible liquids
• Regulated areas for carcinogens
• The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and the Clean Water Act
• The approvals needed to work with select biological and toxic compounds
• The Standard for Protection against Radiation and the Chemical Facility Anti-terrorism Standard
About the speaker:
George Bleazard is currently the Corporate Director of Environmental Compliance, Health, Safety, and Security for Sigma-Aldrich where he is responsible for worldwide environmental compliance, occupational health and industrial hygiene, safety, and security functions. In 2003, he led the environmental waste minimization efforts resulting in the company’s St. Louis facility receiving the EPA’s Region Seven “2003 Pollution Prevention Award”. He obtained his Bachelor of Science and Masters of Science from Central Missouri State University and has also worked for Pfizer, Hoechst-Celanese Corp., Monsanto, and the St. Louis County Health Department.