NIJ has released the new self-paced online training course Forensic DNA Education for Law Enforcement Decisionmakers.
The objectives of the course are to educate senior-level law enforcement decisionmakers on the policy and practice issues associated with the effective use of DNA analysis so they will have the knowledge to:
- Streamline investigative processes
- Implement best practices for handling "cold hits"
- Identify the probative value of evidence and prioritize DNA evidence
- More effectively leverage limited resources
- Interact more efficiently with crime laboratories to set expectations and manage caseloads
- Understand the time and resources required from the lab to test different categories of evidence
- Avoid the steep costs that can impact the agency, the public and the practitioner's career if procedures aren't properly implemented