Get the Most Out of Training
Training is important. It’s the one way to improve the quality of your workforce with the staff you have. But training is only valuable when employees retain the information that was taught to them. SCORE “Counselors to America’s Small Business” (www.score.org) offer these training tips to help managers get the most of training sessions:
- Make sure that your employees understand ahead of time the reasons for training. What problems will it solve?
- Put yourself in their shoes. Tell them how they will benefit.
- Make it interesting. Hire a competent trainer or, if you do it yourself, find ways to engage your employees’ attention — such as including videotapes or role-playing.
- Be clear about expectations. Focus on the behavioral changes or improvements that you are looking for.
- Measure the results. Training without follow-up is ineffective. Keep repeating your message and show appreciation to employees who keep trying to meet the expectations.