In their book, Management? It's Not What You Think!, authors Henry Mintzberg, Bruce Ahlstrand, and Joseph Lampel offer leadership realities that are often overlooked or undervalued in organizations. Here are some selected “realities”:
- Great managers do not always have everything under control.
- You don’t need a clear understanding of everything your employees do.
- Don't “present” information. Deliver it.
- A star executive does not make a company.
- Don't populate your office with superstars.
- If you ain't first, you're not necessarily last.
- Work and private life needn't be entirely separate.